Latvian Movement for Independent Living is non-profit, non-governmental organization, created to ensure the independent living opportunities for people with disabilities, promote deinstutinalisation (we have still about 5000 people in Latvia living in these old fashion care places, where person with disability is just the object of care) and implementation of social model of disability in Latvia. Latvian Movement for Independent Living as initiative group has been active since 2006, but as legal body is working since 2009.
The vision of Latvian Movement for Independent Living is inclusive society and equal opportunities for people with disabilities and that mean local community for everyone, society where every person is of high value, where every person with disability have the same opportunities as all other people.
The membership is composed both by organizations and individual members have also opportunity to join organization. Our member organizations are quite different: service providers (running day care centers, group flats and sheltered workshops), professional associations (for ex. Association of Occupational therapists) and as well organizations of people with disabilities and their parents. In our individual membership is also academics staff what helps us to cooperate with Riga Stradins University (Medical University), High school for social workers and pedagogical academy of Liepāja. Our members are giving guest lectures upon the request of high schools. Students of Universities are having their field practice in the services provided by our member organizations. As well in our membership are persons who have long term experience in developing educational materials and educational programs.
The main fields of our work are:
- dissemination of independent living concept in society,
- empowerment of people with disabilities and their families(workshops, educational seminars),
- awareness raising in society on social model of disability and equal opportunities for people with disabilities (annual public awareness raising action),
- advocating for the rights of people with disabilities on decision making level to promote the independent living opportunities,
- participation in decision making processes to promote the development of community based services (cooperation with Latvian Welfare Ministry),
- monitoring of implementation of UN Convention on rights of persons with disabilities,
- development of high quality community based services for persons with disabilities,
- education of primary care staff on social model of disability and equal opportunities,
- monitoring of deinstitutionalization process.
- membership is composed from different stakeholders and we are able to put together the point of view both of human rights advocates, people with disabilities and their families, service providers and professional staff (social workers, occupational therapists, ect.),
- there are high number of different field professionals as active members of organization,
- we are independent organization,
- we are mobile and we are going to people, NGOs, Universities and institutions who need or want the seminars or education programs
We are open for cooperation within any innovative activity/project around disability, social model and equal opportunities issues! If You want to collaborate please contact us : email@example.com